Sunday, February 25, 2024
Home Vacation Couple hit by ‘nightmare’ three-week vomiting bug on TUI holiday

Couple hit by ‘nightmare’ three-week vomiting bug on TUI holiday

by Staff

A couple who booked a holiday for a bit of escapism after their house flooded say they both fell ill with a ‘nightmare’ vomiting bug – for THREE weeks. Alison and Donald Wright travelled to the four-star TUI Blue hotel in Los Gigantes, Tenerife, in March 2023.

The retired couple wanted to get away after a frozen pipe flooded their home in Greater Bridgeford, Stoke-on-Trent, meaning they lost their belongings and were put into temporary accommodation. But, just two days into the holiday on the popular Canary Island, Alison, 63, fell ill.

Her symptoms included vomiting and diarrhoea. The following day, Donald, 67, also fell ill. They say they were ill for three whole weeks, reports Stoke-on-Trent Live.

Try MEN Premium now for FREE… just click here to give it a go.

The pair said an advisory notice was displayed in the hotel warning that guests had been suffering from ‘unconfirmed’ gastroenteritis. Alison said: “We thought it was maybe just the heat at first, but then we saw a number of signs from TUI about sickness in the hotel, advising guests to wash and sanitise their hands.

“This alarmed us as there were so many of them, including in the lifts and foyer. It’s not something you expect from a four-star resort, but when we think back, the hygiene was very questionable.

The couple booked a sunny getaway after their home had to be stripped back to the brick and re-plastered due to flooding(Image: Supplied)

“The toilets didn’t appear to be cleaned regularly and I saw guests touching food in the restaurant and putting it back. While there’s nothing we can do now to change what happened on that holiday, we feel we deserve some answers. She added: “We spent our hard-earned money on this well-needed break and it turned into a complete nightmare.”

The holiday followed a disastrous Christmas for the pair. Alison said: “During Christmas 2022, we lost all our furniture and belongings when a pipe burst during really cold temperatures. Everything was destroyed and our home had to be stripped back to the brick and re-plastered.

Leave a Comment

Copyright ©️ All rights reserved. | Tourism Trends